( – promoted by DocHoc)
Make a call to Governor of Oklahoma Brad Henry’s Office
Phone: 1-800-865-5853 or (405) 521-2342
Please see info here:
I urge Governor Brad Henry to put an end to the mean-spirited anti-immigration bill, Oklahoma Taxpayer and Citizen Protection Act of 2007, HB 1804. This bill promises to open the doors to wide-spread discrimination in the state, and is counterproductive to its economic development.
According to the National immigration Law Center (NILC), HB 1804 raises significant legal questions that you should consider before making your final decision.
– Discriminates Against Lawfully Present Immigrants
– Intrudes on Children’s Right to Attend School
– Criminalizes good Samaritans, police, ambulance drivers, teachers and others
– Undermines an Investment in Oklahoma’s Future by Repealing In-State Tuition for Immigrants
– Limits Access to Licenses Based on a State or Local Agency’s “Suspicion” About an Individual’s Immigration Status
– Conflicts with Federal Laws ‘Benefit Eligibility’ Requirements
– Requires participation in the Basic Pilot Program – A New Hire Verfication System that
Preempts Federal Law
– Conflicts with and undermines the Federal Government’s Tax Law Requirements
– Unnecessarily Impedes Access to Services for Eligible U.S. Citizens
– Jeopardizes Public Health through Discriminatory Practices
The House of Representatives in Washington has already laid out a strategy for comprehensive immigration reform. I believe that local law enforcement-only measures like HB 1804, will do nothing to fix our broken immigration system and that a federal comprehensive approach to immigration reform is the only practical solution. Please veto HB 1804.
From LULAC http://www.lulac.org…